Eyelash extensions have become one of the most popular beauty treatments of today, offering lush, long lashes with no mascara necessary. From celebrities and beauty influencers to everyday salon clients, a growing number of people are making lash extensions their go-to beauty secret.
Whether you’re already a successful cosmetologist or just getting started in the industry, lash extensions can be a wonderful way to build a thriving business. Lash technicians are able to use their creativity and talent to create the perfect lashes for each of their clients, designing looks that range from all-natural to dramatic. Fulfilling, fun, and full of potential, a career as a professional lash tech could be the perfect path for you.
We’ve created a useful guide that explains how to become a lash tech, covering key topics such as the requirements for certification, where to find a lash tech program, and how to get started on your certification now.
What is a Certified Lash Technician?
Certified lash technicians are licensed beauty professionals that offer eyelash extensions as a service.
Sometimes referred to as lash artists, eyelash specialists, or even lash stylists, certified lash technicians undergo specialized training to learn the proper techniques and safety guidelines involved in the lash extension process.
A lash tech might work at a salon or spa, or they may operate as an independent business owner.
What are the Qualifications to Become a Lash Tech?
Requirements to become a lash technician can vary, depending on your state (and even your employer). In many states, you have to be licensed as a cosmetologist or aesthetician in addition to completing your lash certification.
For example, New Jersey lash tech requirements state that you must be a licensed cosmetologist and have a lash certification.
Not only does an eyelash extension certification equip you with the skills necessary to create lovely lashes for your future clients, but it also prepares you with the important technical knowledge to keep clients safe. As a lash tech, you’ll be working in a highly sensitive area of the body: the eyes. During the extension application process, there are chemicals that could cause harm if used incorrectly – which is why it’s vital that lash techs are properly trained.
Also, a lash tech certification will help you establish yourself as a reputable provider and earn the trust of your future clients.
How to Become a Lash Technician
Are you considering getting certified as a lash technician? Here’s how:
- First, research the requirements for lash techs in your state. Every state has specific requirements to work as a lash technician. In many states, you’ll first need to become a licensed cosmetologist. After that, you’ll have to complete a lash certification program. Make sure you look up the state you plan to be working in so that you can be properly prepared and avoid any unexpected issues.
- Choose a lash certification program from a reputable school. Not all lash tech programs are created equally, so it’s important that you select yours carefully. Ideally, your program will provide you with a wealth of knowledge that will empower you to stand out from the competition. Look for a certification program at a trusted, well-established beauty school so that you can be confident that you’re investing in high-quality training.
- Once you’re certified, map out your career goals. There are many ways to turn your lash tech certification into a rewarding career, so you can truly create the future you want. For licensed cosmetologists that already have their own successful business, lash extensions can be a smart way to gain new clients (and offer a new service to existing clients). Working for a salon, spa, or another beauty business is another option you might want to consider. Or, you can decide to operate as an independent lash artist, full-time.
What Do You Learn in a Lash Extension Certification Program?
So, what exactly will you be learning when you enroll in a certification class for lash extensions? Essentially, you’ll undergo a detailed training process that covers everything you need to know to safely and skillfully apply for lash extensions.
At the Rizzieri School, our lash certification program teaches students:
- Lash anatomy
- Techniques for enhancing lash length, volume, and curl
- How to use professional lash extension products and tools
- How to select the right technique/lash style to suit your client’s preferences
- How to assess eye shape, size, orientation, and other specifics
- Lash extension application and fills
- Types of lash extensions
- Lash curls (for example, J and C Curls)
- Lash thickness
- Lash lengths
- Lash extension styles (such as classic, volume, mega volume, and hybrid lashes)
- How to preserve clients’ natural lash health and integrity
- Health and sanitation guidelines
- Proper aftercare
Once you’re certified, you’ll be ready to offer lash extensions as a service.
Why Certification is a Must for Lash Artists
While it’s not unheard of for people to offer lash extension services without an official license or certification, it’s a decision that could easily get you into serious trouble. Operating as an unlicensed beauty professional puts you at risk of legal action from the state, or even clients that you provide your “services” to. Also, even if you have good intentions, working as a lash tech without certification endangers your clients – you could accidentally cause serious, irreversible harm.
Instead, invest the time and effort into certification, so you can create a career that you’re truly proud of. The benefits of lash tech certification include:
- A thorough understanding of how to do lash extensions, including how to use all of the tools and supplies necessary
- The ability to design personalized “lash looks” that your clients will love, using practiced techniques and styles
- The option to join professional networks and associations (like the National Association of Lash Artists), where your membership can open up new learning opportunities, referrals, and more
- Client trust and confidence
- More job versatility will allow you to choose from a variety of career paths and employers
Becoming a certified eyelash extension artist can open up an exciting range of professional possibilities, making it more than worth it to build your beauty career on a strong foundation of education and training.
Lash Technician Programs at Rizzieri Aveda School
As a certified lash tech, you can spend your workdays boosting the confidence of your clients, creating gorgeous looks, and even helping people look and feel their best for everyday and special occasions alike. If this sounds like the career path for you, we would love to have you be a part of the Rizzieri School’s lash extension certification program in New Jersey.
As the oldest beauty school in NJ, we’re proud to have supported so many of our students in achieving their career dreams. Our innovative approach to beauty education combines a unique curriculum, hands-on training, and career planning, giving you everything you need to set yourself up for success.
If you’re considering learning the art of eyelash extensions and would like to learn more about how to become a certified lash tech in New Jersey, don’t hesitate to connect with the friendly and knowledgeable team at the Rizzieri School. We invite you to book a virtual tour and start the admissions process today– your fabulous future could be just a click away!
Featured Image: Daria_Cherry/Shutterstock